Proceedings available on ACM Digital Library
Presentations available on SlideShare | Videos available on Youtube | Photos available on Flickr
Following the successful results obtaining in TEEM 2013 (http://teemconference.eu/2013/), in both scientific outcomes and human relationships and cooperation opportunities, a new edition of this event will be held in the Research Institute for Educational Sciences at the University of Salamanca (http://iuce.usal.es) next October 1-3.
This edition will be reinforced in its multicultural nature combining different aspects of the technology applied to knowledge society development, with a special attention to educational and learning issues regarding, but not limited to, the following broad-scope research areas:
- Education Assessment and Orientation.
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Computers in Education
- Communication Media and Education
- Medicine and Education
- Robotics in Education
- Engineering and Education
- Information Society and Education
Also, the Conference itself looks for the innovation. The TEEM Steering Committee do not want this event be another classic conference in which people present their works and returns home without interacting with the peers. This way, TEEM is divided in thematic and highly cohesive tracks. Each track shares the scientific and formal aspects for paper submissions, peer reviews and publication, but the track chairs will organize the proper dynamics to achieve the most important goal: to create a researching community.
Social events for all the participants will be made in order to strength the intercultural and multicultural skills among them, independently of the tracks in which they have been involved.
The proposed tracks for this edition are:
- Track 1. Innovation in Health Sciences Education: As we become more integrated into a global world, technological advances and teaching innovation that are grounded in Science have become crucial. Rapid advancements in science education and information technology provide promising resources that require many academic disciplines to work together. Developing new tools and defining new methodologies to share educational experiences, including empirical studies that support their efficiency, constitute a promising approach to improve Health Sciences. The aim of this session is to encourage and enable the exchange of information related with the advance and support of Health Science Education.
- Track 2. Educational Innovation: The education sector needs evolution and changes. Evolution in order to apply student-centered learning paradigms with effectiveness and efficiency; changes in the approaches in order to allow including new methods such as the different varieties of MOOCs, in teaching and learning processes. Educational innovation is the tool that permits the evolution and changes in the teaching and learning process.
- Track 3. A robot in the classroom: Robotics in Education tries to strengthen different skills for future engineers/scientists by the means of the design, construction and programming of robots. These skills are related to various fields like science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Also, and equally important, the introduction of the robot in the classroom, both at school and college and even as extracurricular activity, promotes a host of outcomes such as technological fluency, creativity, participation, support, collaboration and cooperation.
- Track 4. Gamification ecosystems: Major aim of this track would be to bring actual theoretical and applied research in the field of game application and development in different areas, such as education and training, business, marketing, product development, group problem solving, etc.
- Track 5. Dealing with complexity: Educational data and tools for Learning Analytics: This track is then conceived as a facilitator to share experiences with the creation and application of tools for learning analytics, so that: 1) a comprehensive view is offered on the different solutions provided by Learning Analytics and which problems they are solving; 2) synergies may emerge from the contributions and view of the participants on the track, and be directed towards the achievement of common goals; and 3) directions on the future developments for Learning Analytics may be pointed out, in particular their use in the context of courses with large enrolments such as MOOCs.
- Track 6. Communication, Education and Health Promotion: Health promotion is defined as the process of enabling people to increase control over their health and its determinants, and thereby improve their health (World Health Organization). One of the most used approaches to health promotion is based on education and communication media. Health campaigns and education-entertainment approaches (entertainment advocacy) are been used by scholars in health communication to prevent very different diseases and to improve quality of life. Health communication is a transdisciplinary field whose intended outcomes are increasing audience knowledge and awareness of a health issue, influencing behaviors and attitudes towards a health issue and implementing and evaluating health interventions disseminated using media in very different ways (from advertising and social marketing campaigns to television fiction or videogames). The track is focused on this topic and its main goal is to discuss around the relationship between health promotion and education from a communication media research point of view.
- Track 7. Mobile Apps and computational systems as learning tools: In this track, we welcome presentations about on-going researches in which new technologies, and mobile devices in particular, play a major role to enhance knowledge practice and acquisition, and especially when they tackle with the autonomous use of apps and devices to boost the skills practiced in the classroom.
- Track 8. Software As A Service (SaaS) in learning processes: Last years service as software delivery model has been introduced in different application domains, providing technological ecosystems where developers of all kinds are innovating fast, creating new kinds of apps and services and iterating over new ways managing, sharing and discovering information and knowledge of all sorts. Some of this innovation is focussed towards learning, and is happening outside of the classical Learning Management Systems and the classroom itself.
- Track 9. Evaluation in Education and Guidance: Nowadays, the educational evaluation constitutes a key element to improve the quality of any programme or, in its broadest sense, of the educational system within a country or region scope. In this track we seek to share methodologies and research results about different assessment objects, which aim is the improvement of the educational system, both at University level and other levels. On the other hand, this track will present some research experiences in the evaluation and educational orientation field.
- Track 10. New publishing and scientific communication ways: Electronic edition, digital educational resources, Open Access Repositories and Open Linked Data: Electronic edition or E-edition is a convincing reality in all occidental countries. In academic scope, e-edition in general and e-books as specific case actually are the most natural and usual way to reach the final users. Thus, the user, as the final link of the editorial chain, is a very significant and critical element for every product introduction, and they are showing a growing receptivity degree regarding the new editorial media and products. On the other hand, as consequence of the open knowledge development, and also due to a most implication of the Governments and Institutions regarding open access policies, a very significant increase of open access resources has been achieved through journals and repositories. This rising of the free accessible knowledge and also of the virtual emplacements to store the open resources has caused an improvement of the tools, techniques and, specially, interoperability among repositories, all of them designed to offer solutions in a new complex and decentralized technological ecosystem. This way, the number of open access repositories has increased and they become in a key element of the eResearching infrastructure.
- Track 11. Transferring knowledge and experiences from informal to formal learning contexts: The purpose of this track is to analyse problems experienced with the validation of informal learning and to propose alternative approaches. We’d like to advance and explore other different approaches to achieve the challenge of defining a very transparent framework in which both formal and informal learning are considering as important components of the own person’s knowledge base.
- Track 12. Project presentations: TEEM Conference encourages living or recently ending national and international projects coordinators and researches to make a presentation about the advances and main outcomes of their projects related to the Knowledge Society researching lines.
- Track 13. Doctoral Consortium: This is a key element of this Conference. From its origins, this Conference has a very strong link with a PhD Programme. This way, it will be a very important challenge that the PhD students may share their research advances with the highly valuable international researches involved in the TEEM Community receiving an invaluable feedback about it.
Authors are invited to submit full, original, unpublished research papers that are not being considered for publication in any other forum. All submissions will be refereed for quality, originality, and relevance by the Program Committee.
All contributions (5-8 pages) will be written following the ACM template (http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/pubform.doc) and should apply ACM Computing Classification categories and terms. The templates provide space for this indexing and point authors to the Computing Classification Scheme at: http://www.acm.org/about/class/1998. The first anonymous version must be submitted in PDF.
Paper must be submitted through EasyChair platform (https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=teem2014).
All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings, which will be published in the ACM Digital Library as a volume in its International Conference Proceedings Series with ISBN.
Authors with best papers will be invited to prepare and submit extended versions to be considered, after a new peer review, for publication in several special issues of the following scientific journals. Some of them are mainly linked to specific tracks (as it is described in each track page), others have a more transversal scope and papers from all tracks may be invited.